Sunday, June 22, 2008

Please, Please, Please!!!



Please do not be induced the next time you go to give birth. Just this last week, a friend was induced and it ended in an "emergency" cesarean. This is the fourth friend this has happened to in the last three years. Four in three years in my small circle of friends is too much of a percentage to me. I've read that 30% of all inductions end in cesareans. 30%!?!?!? Who really wants those kind of odds? So I am begging you - don't be induced!!! This most recent birth was the sixth child for this mother. At the sixth pregnancy, shouldn't the baby be able to slip out on its own?? And for first time moms, don't you want to feel what going into labor is like so that you know what is going on?? Labor cannot/should not be switched on and off like a light bulb. I understand you all think I am crazy for doing my natural births at home, and I agree - it is not for the faint of heart, and yes, modern science does save some moms and babies who would have otherwise not made it. I believe women's bodies were made to give birth, and they are not broken, so why should the doctor think he needs to fix something? I believe the woman (and the baby saying it's time to come out) should be in control and not the doctor or nurse. Who's having this baby anyways?

So to the few of you who read this who don't have kids yet, please don't mar your first experience with birth by being induced - you may be one of those 30% who will be recovering from major surgery. And to those who have already given birth, you know you can do it! Encourage others and don't share birth horror stories unless they really are horror stories - like ending in a c-section that could've been avoided if only you had been patient enough to let yourself go into labor! Birth is not really as terrible and painful as everyone would like to believe. And then you have doctors who won't let you do a VBAC - do not settle for a life of c-sections!!! (unless of course, you have a serious medical condition for doing so). You can do it! You were made for giving birth!

I recommend this book "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. She compares the pros and cons of the birth medical proceedures. She tells you straight out - she is not anti-doctor or anti-technology, she is anti-unnecessary intervention, which I agree with. And my midwife's website for anyone who cares.

Please share this info with others. Some girls only do what the doctors tell them and don't know there are options out there and don't know that they should be the ones controlling the show and don't have encouragement for doing so.

I love babies and I love happy birth stories.

Pictures of Kiefer coming soon on my photo blog. Feel free to comment directly on that blog and post a link on your own blog. ;)

16 comments:

The Belands said...

Hey Jessica,
I agree with your feelings on the subject of child birth completey. Good for you in posting your feelings on the matter. On regards to my new home your welcome to come for a visit anytime. I would love to see your family.
Amber

Mel said...

I love that you are so passionate about it. I have to say though that being induced is sometimes a matter of necessity. Some women have reasons that the baby needs a little help coming out. For example, I was on heparin (blood thinner) through my whole pregnancy and had to schedule when I was going to have my baby so I did not bleed to death. Also some women's bodies just don't do well with pregnancy and delivery. Again I am another example. It is easy for some and difficult for others. I just think it is amazing that we do have the medicine and abilities to help people (like me) who have really hard times with having children. I am SO grateful for the dr and medicine that allowed me to stay pregnant and for them being able to schedule my time so I had one less thing to worry about!

I love you and am so glad that you are able to have your kids that way you feel is the best. My best way is definitely in a hospital with TONS of medicine to numb the pain. Just to let you know...my induction went perfectly. Infact, it was SO easy. No C Section here.

Jessica B Photography said...

I am happy for those who are able to have children with the help of medicine who would others not been able to. What makes me sick is convenience inductions or for reasons such as "the baby is getting too big" and convenience c-sections and the mindset of "once a c-section, always a c-section." Melinda, I am glad yours went so well. I know you said it was fast. I've heard of others that were so painful and long though.

Mel said...

I totally agree with you about people doing it for convenience. I would not have chosen to be induced because I thought my baby was too big or I wanted a certain birthday. I was just saying that it is not always a bad thing. I do agree with you that everyone having a baby should definitely experience ALL of it. Including contractions...at least for a few minutes. HAHA...Thanks for posting that. I think it is great to be able to share how you feel and get to see other peoples point of views of a topic.

Hillary said...

I agree with both of you (Jess and Mel). I definately think that most of the time (except when there is a medical reason), the convenience inducements are really for the convenience of the doctor. What doctor really wants to get up in the middle of the night and deliver a baby and then go into the office and see patients all day? When I had Jake, Dr. Martin (who was SO much better than the doctor I had delivering Zack) was not actually for inducements for the sake of inducing and put no pressure on me whatsoever to be induced, which was a nice change. But I did make him get up at 3:30 a.m.to deliver my baby! :) However, after delivering my 9 pound 10 ounce baby he apologized and said had he known he was that big he would have induced me 2 weeks earlier. But really, other than being the size of a house, the delivery of such a big baby was not bad at all and was actually easier than Zack's delivery.
Having delivered one natural and one with an epidural, I would have to say there is nothing wrong with a little drugs! If I have another one I am not ashamed to say that I will definately be having an epidural.

Jessica B Photography said...

It is nice to hear other people's point of views. Everyone's so far has been excellent. Every once in a while I think it is good to put something on the blog that makes people stretch their brains a little. So in posting this, I was thinking "Ok let's see how many people get really riled up at me, and let's see how many somewhat agree." I am now altering the outcome of any further comments by saying this.

Jenny said...

Well, I have to chime in because, I'm not really against being induced if it's for the baby and mother's own good, i.e., the baby is in danger for some sort of reason, or the mother, or the baby is becoming REALLY REALLY big, like 2 weeks overdue, but just to get induced due to the mother being uncomfortable is a little selfish (my own opinion).
I would never ever have a baby at home, I feel if something happened to the baby, I want to be at the hospital where a trained pediatrician can evaluate the baby's condition and all the staff and medical equipment to help the baby is right there. I also have had 2 epidural's and will continue to have epidural's for my next baby(s), I say if I live in this time with all the advances of science to make something easier on me, I'm all for it, plus I can still feel some of the pain and pressure even with an epidural and that's enough for me! But, I totally respect everyone's opinion, this is just mine.

MaryRC said...

I tell you what, giving birth in the state of Nevada is like giving birth at a convienience store. I was induced with both my babys for medical reasons, not for convienience, my body simply didnt go into labor. Raegan had actually started losing weight and the placenta was calcified no longer giving her nutrients, I had to throw a fit to get my doctor to induce me even though it wasn't convienient for her. She was almost three weeks overdue.
My experience with Zachary in St.Louis was like staying at the Ritz, my Dr. was AMAZING as was my health care. My doctor, who was a renowend physician and professor at Washington University, massaged my cervex for an hour. Not a nurse... my Doctor. SHE did almost all of my check ups, not a nurse or different doctor in her practice.
My Doctor (Leslie Zack) here was annoyed that she had to come and deliver my daughter, she was rude, and ripped the monitor off Rae's head leaving an open wound, oh and not to mention the nurses rolling me on my side and holding my legs shut for 10 minutes because the doctor wasnt there yet. Raegan developed a hematoma on her head where all the blood was surfacing.
My siter in law had an awful experience here as well, a similar experience to your friend's Jess. She went with a midwife for her next child, it came close to her going to the hospital, but with a blessing from her home teachers the baby was born a mere 30 minutes later.

Gurl dont get me started!! And people wonder why I only have two children!!

Jessica B Photography said...

Wow, thanks Mary!! I like the comparison of Nevada births vs other states births. We do have serious issues here - all the problems with insurance and tort reform and doctors not even accepting patients a few years ago. I can't believe your nurses held your legs shut!!! I can see the term "kicking and screaming" being very relavent here.

I'd like to point out that normal gestation is anywhere between 38 and 42 weeks, not specifically 40 weeks. With my last baby, I told people my due date was the 42 week date because that's when it is due right? It should be out by then? All my children have been "late" - over their 40 week date. Three weeks over (43 weeks), like Raegan, would definately cause concern.

MaryRC said...

I was into my 43rd week with both and not a single contraction and only dialited to 2.. I couldnt even tell you what they feel like, because of potosin I only know what hard pushing time labor feels like.

Nevada has serious issues, I find I get better care at the Health Clinic than at a Doctors office at a fraction of the price. It's scary really.

Mr. and Mrs. Corbett said...

How did I miss all this???
With my first baby I was in labor when I went to my drs appt on Monday morning. (after going to the hospital the night before,only to be told I wasn't in hard labor and to go home) So my dr sent me back to the hospital in the morning where they hooked me up to the pitosin and SLOWED DOWN MY LABOR. I was in labor, all together, for 32 hours. The dr came in and delivered the baby when he was ready. The whole experience SUCKED! I also have a very prominent pelvic bone that my baabies can't get around. So they vacuumed David out.
With Spencer, I went into labor at home, went to the hospital and delivered him 9 hours later. It was so much nicer. But again, my baby got stuck and had to be guided out. If I were to try and deliver at home, I don't know how my kids would get out. They don't come out on their own.
I can tell you that some hospitals are terrible and some aren't so bad. I hated the first hospital, (Mtn View) and loved the second. (Valley)
As for the drugs, I hardly felt any pain with David and I felt EVERYTHING with Spencer. The drugs didn't work the second time around. They just made me sick and really shakey. I looked like a crack addict going through withdrawls =)
I agree that if it is not medically necessary that you should definately allow your body to go into labor naturally. At least that way you know your baby is ready and that your body is ready.

Hillary said...

I like this post. I like reading everyone's stories.

Susan said...

I totally agree with you and I know you already know that but I need to show my support! I love that book I would recommend anyone who is pregnant or wants to become pregnant to read it!! And yes giving birth in the state of Nevada sucks at least in Las Vegas! If I had to have a hospital birth I would go to a different state! Hopefully that never happens! We are not broken we are made to do this just let us!!!

Jessica B Photography said...

Reasons I went with a midwife & homebirth:

#1. I am lazy. Yes, I admit it. I do not want to be in a car driving to the hospital when I am in labor. And I did not want to drive all the way there, only to be sent home, like Autumn. Midwife, please come to me. And feed me grapes and fan me with palm fronds. :) No, really, at the time of my first pregnancy all I knew was my older sister would drive 40 miles from Boulder City to Summerlin for every doctor appointment and to give birth (Mtn View Hosp., I think). Later I found out a lot of people out here used the same doctor (probably because he's LDS) and I really could not believe that people would go so far. St. Rose Sienna was not built yet and BC Hospital does not deliver babies. (Now I will get flack for doing a homebirth in a town that doesn't even have an adequate hospital. No, they are not even equipped for children, so should I move my family somewhere else too?)

#2 I wanted a drug-free birth and did not want a doctor/hospital staff telling me I had to do it their way.

#3 My ancestors can give birth in the comfort of their tents & wagons on the plains, surely I can birth in the comfort of my own home.

MaryRC said...

Autum, my horrid experience was at Mt. View as well. The best part was my doctor insisted if I were to be induced it had to be there since she lived minutes away. So her office checked me in and set me up. But low and behold after Raegan was born I found out my insurance was not accepted at that hospital and I had to pay out the nose for poo pooy care!
I actually left the hospital early against my doctors wishes and never even went back to her for a check up, I hated the whole experience that much. I had this argument over the phone with her about me going home (she didnt come in and check me out as all the other doctors were doing) any way she says to me, "Why dont you relax and let them take care of you?" Because no body was helping me! as soon as they found out Rae was not my first they handed me a sanitary bag and said have at it. I was sharing a room with another paitent, so if her baby wasnt crying mine was and if they werent the paitent was snoring and I was getting no rest. So, I packed up and went home. If it werent for the tilted pelvis and the epidural I'd go for a home birth in this state.... Whew...(off my soapbox)

Mr. and Mrs. Corbett said...

mountain view is by far the worst hospital. and not just for having babies. they even put my grandmother behind a curtain because there wasn't enough room for people and she was in a lot worse shape than most.
and when i was delivering there and they had me behind a curtain for labor, they were waiting for a room to open up because there was a girl in there getting an iv cause she was close to dehydration. CLOSE to dehydration? I was in LABOR! I would rather deliver a baby at the 7-11 than go back to mountain view!
I am sorry you had such a bad experience there as well. At least we know we aren't the only ones. although, that isn't really a good thing.