Friday, August 1, 2008

A Moment of Introspection & Brutally Honest Photos

I've been tagged a retched tag. Maybe my policy of "If you name me by name, I will do it" will no longer apply.

Rules of the tag: No cleaning, no rearranging, go take these ten pictures and post. I did take them without cleaning, but just got around to posting.

Does anyone else do this? At the thought of someone coming over, I frantically look around the house and see what needs to be picked up. And if I know someone is coming in, will be staying for a while and might need to use the bathroom, then I get concerned about dust in the corners and not having clean baseboards, and what if so-and-so happens to go into the kitchen and looks in the farthest darkest spot and sees that it is not clean?!?!

So this tag has caused me to wonder - am I really that messy? Or do I just have some good days and some bad days like everyone else? Can I blame it on the kids, the husband, or the house? When we were first married I could good-clean our 400 sq.ft. apartment in one day. And I did it almost once a week. (Yes, and I was working too.) Now, at twice the size and over twice the number of people involved, it's impossible to do it in one day even if I did have the energy and desire to do so. Sure, I am trying to train the family - the kids have chores and Jared even scrubbed the kitchen floor yesterday! I declutter as much as I can - I constantly have a pile by the from door of things I need to return to someone else or take to the donation box. I feel like I've maximized all the storage options in the house - if I had a bigger house, would there be less clutter or more? Or is it just plain old habits that need to be changed? I think we will have to work on the habits since we will probably be in this house for a while longer...

Without further adieu....

1. The Kitchen Sink. Not so bad. Cereal bowls & banana bread fixings.

2. The Fridge. Hmmm, the "Time-Out" pile on top is getting rather large, and that stoller box (on the right) has been there for three years! Maybe I should toss that one.

3. The Closet. Aaaah, the closet. We have three closets total in our house. This particular one that holds our clothes and shoes (among other things, of course) is not even attached to the room we sleep in. This is the baby's room if you can't tell. For those who have never been to my house, the covered porch was converted in the 70's into two rooms. The trick is you have to go into the first one in order to get to the second one. Since we are tight on space, each bedroom has a tall bookshelf in it (on the right) that serves as a dresser/toybox/bookshelf/stuff holder.

4. The Laundry Room. Er, I mean porch. It must have been the day before garbage day when I took these. The great thing about the laundry being outside is 1) you can't hear it in the house and 2) you don't care if the washer overflows.5. The Bathroom. I have to include two on this so you can see the whole room. I like my bathroom. I think it's cute. Maybe the vanity & mirror could be a different color...

6. What the Kids are doing right now (then). Running around playing something involving "stinky milk"

7. Favorite Shoes. These shoes need no explanation.

8. Favorite Room "in" the House. Our lovely side patio that gets shaded on both sides, currently home to the swimming pool, but also provides relaxing place for dinners in the srping and fall.

9. Dream Vacation. For some reason, I really love Europe. These are some of Chris's mission pictures from Germany. And I'd probably have to go without the kids :)


10. Self Portrait. I am in there. Can you see me in the spoon? Mmmmm, raspberries and homemade chocolate frozen yogurt.


I will now spare the rest of you by not tagging you. You can however be thankful that I didn't and go clean your sink now.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh c'mon, you're not going to tag anyone??? No fun! J/k, I for one thank you for not tagging anyone, I don't need anyone seeing the dark depths of my closet, it is scary!
That is the worst when someone stops by unexpectedly and the house is always a disaster at that time.

Chris said...

Wow. You guys live like slobs! At least you are fun people..sometimes. I'd live on the side patio if I were you.

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry for submitting you to that torture...but it's so fun to see people do it and it was definitely a big reality check for me that my house is way too disastrous! You're definitely not that messy!

Chris said...

...Or better yet, move to that wonderfully green country with the fabulous architecture and bakeries.

LM said...

Jess, You deserve an award for being such a great mom, wife, cook, cheif and bottle washer!

Cindy said...

That is great! It just confirms that we are all the same. No one can do it all and still have happy children!