What in the world is Fels-Naptha, you say, and why do you need 14 bars of it???
FN is a stain remover soap that is used in making homemade laundry detergent. (Whoa! Jess is really off her rocker!!)
No really. My friend introduced me to it, and it's quite easy, and it's good for emergency preparedness stuff.
And at a dollar a bar on the clearance rack, I couldn't help but buy ALL of them. Hello, I need a year's supply!
Basic Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe:
1 bar Fels-Naptha
1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm&Hammer Washing Soda
Grate the FN & melt over a double boiler. Add to other soaps in a 5 gallon bucket. Whisk in 1 gallon boiling water. Add 3-4 more gallons of hot water.
Based on my own purchases, my homemade soap costs me 2 cents a load. My Costco detergent costs me 7 cents a load....
The things we do to save a nickel....
.....wait a minute. I'm getting robbed! It'll cost more than a nickel of my time!!! Oh well, it's good clean fun anyways... and it's for being prepared.

Speaking of Costco, I love when my favorite fruits are in season. Strawberries at $1.45/lb, Blueberries at $3.75/lb. (I don't know about where you live, but where I come from these are good prices!) I looooovvee blueberries. And my favorite cheese is back to a normal price - $2/lb! - after all those months of inflated everything.
But what I really wanted to talk about was Costco's missionary efforts. That's right. Costco wants to be a missionary now.
You know, I was quite pleased when I spied the Doubleday version of the Book of Mormon on Costco's book tables.
I was ecstatic when I heard they were carrying Lehi Mills wheat.
I even bought a Mikarose modest dress when they were the "special of the week."
but lo, and behold...
On my last visit to the fabulous C-land, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but pictures of temples all framed in their glory. And next to those - pictures of Christ! While it did seem slightly out of place to be having something so religious in a place like Costco, it was nice! and it made me think of how many people will walk by there and see those beautiful buildings (not just the LV temple, there was a plethora of choices) in their sepia-toned rusticness paired with pictures of Christ. I am thinking the name of the company was "Cultural Hall" but when I google that all I get is an off-mormon blog. I got this image from Deseretbook.com.
Maybe my Costco knows it serves a sizeable LDS population. I know they cater all our ward parties. Er, I mean the ones that aren't potlucked out. But I appreciate their efforts to provide.

6 comments:
My mom makes homemade soap like that too! She makes all smell good with different essential oils! Good for you Jess!
Our Costco was selling Lehi Roller Mills stuff and it made me miss home. But the other items haven't made their way out here yet...still looking for a BOM Doubleday.
Homemade detergent. You go, girl!
That's awesome that Costco is selling all that! I am making a trip this week with my mom to pick some stuff up, I am going to check it out.
And good for you on the soap making. We have a couple of friends that do it. I will just stick to my Costco detergent. I am okay with the 7 cents =) Maybe we will come over and witness you having some of your good clean fun!
Please come for a visit! We would love it. Lets talk and plan it out.
Seriously impressed if you're making your own detergent! And isn't Costco the greatest place on earth? We'd definitely love to see you if you stop by Provo at all...let me know when you're coming.
Wow. Jess, you never stop amazing me!
Post a Comment