Friday, January 18, 2008

Romney for President


Tomorrow is caucus day here in Nevada. I've never caucused before. I did some research so I can be all ready to go.

First off, I have to say that I am registered as Republican. I am an (R) solely for this reason alone; to be able to vote in the primaries. I usually vote with the R's in general elections, but only after comparing who is running. Like most sane people, I would never cast a straight party ballot. In fact whenever I get a Republican "Survey" (aka "Manipulative Demand for Money") I start to fill it out, and then get disgusted & just throw it away. Seriously! If you want my opinion put the thing online and save the postage, put a LITTLE 'Donate Now' button off to the side, leave out the letter about how bad you need the money more than I do, and don't start every question with "Do you think it is important that we stop the liberals in our country from _______________."

Like a lot of people, I've been watching the build up to '08, and along the way I have come to appreciate Romney's platform more than the others. He has a pretty decent website that I went to back on that day he did his major volunteer drive last year. I didn't volunteer because I wasn't certain, and I still have not volunteered.

Anyway, I read his points and came to the conclusion that I pretty much agree with his platform. Some of his campaigning has disappointed me. Like when in the last debate he made a pretty insulting quip about Ron Paul, who doesn't stand a chance and has a fair amount of nutty supporters, saying that Ron Paul is reading too many of the Iranian President’s press releases. What he said was accurate, but he came off sounding like a real jerk. It's funny because that one remark (and the 3 phone calls in one afternoon making sure we were actually going to vote for him) almost broke the deal, lucky for him there isn't a real strong candidate in the bunch.

So...getting to why I'm posting all of this. The other day I heard that there are these surveys that you can take to see which candidate you match up best with.

I took two of them:
1) USA Today - Candidate Match Game
2) Electoral Compass
Both returned Romney as my closest match. I gave completely honest answers without any particular candidate in mind. Take the surveys, they're actually even a little fun.

I recently went back to Romney's website and found some more stuff to read in order to be ready at the caucus. Now I'm sharing it with you!

Strategy for a Stronger America <- I liked this one the best. It's long, but it's packed with information. It would have been nice if they had it in a shorter bulleted version so someone could just print it off and read it. I don't think very many people are eager to read 70 page books off the Internet. Your just asking to get a neck ache or a mild migraine! But I would suggest reading as much of it as possible (or its related portion of his website).
The Romney Record <- Short & Sweet, not extremely comprehensive however. The Romney Agenda <- Also

Besides, the guy straightened out the 2002 Olympics (that's an international event, if you were not already aware), has never been a senator (big bonus), understands management, is articulate, has the presidential look (admit it), isn't the class clown, can keep a vow (still married to #1), and despite his vast fortune has scuffs on the underside of his dress shoes (noticed the picture in 'Strategy for a Stronger America' .pdf - the photo was probably staged that way!).

(Jess says - Read the comments, they're great!)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Jess, I also am supporting Romney at this point, he does seem the most presidential and I agree with his platform. I like to see some good old fashioned rude remarks in the debates, it makes them a lot more interesting, besides all the candidates have some issues, especially Ron Paul!

Jessica and Chris said...

I like how Chris said, "He has the presidential look." I told him women vote based on looks and he said "I know!" We can't have an ugly/funny looking president!!!

Jenny said...

Oh yes, duh! I see now that Chris posted this, I agree with you Chris! He's surged in the Florida polls, but we'll see, sometimes those polls are wrong.

Jessica and Chris said...

Quote from "Fahrenheit 451" - "I voted last election, same as everyone, and I laid in on the line for Pres. Noble. I think he's one of the nicest looking men ever became President."
"Oh, but the man they ran against him!"
"He wasn't much, was he? Kind of small and homely and he didn't shave too close or comb his hair very well."
"What possessed the (Outs) to run him? You just don't go running a little short man like that against a tall man..."
"Fat, too, and didn't dress to hide it. No wonder the landslide was for Winston Noble. Even their names helped. Compare Winston Noble to Hubert Hoag for ten seconds and you can almost figure the results."

I rest my case about women's voting habits. Good for those of you girls if you even somewhat study the issues (or try to have a conversation with your husband about politics). And I totally recommend the above mentioned book...
~Jess (maybe we should change this so it just says "Jess" and not "Jessica & Chris")