I would attach a picture to this post, but I can't. My camera got stolen. And my film camera and 4 lenses (total) and my tripod with it's totally awesome grip head and my Dad's light meter. Luckily not my brand new cable release that I haven't even used yet. More stolen items include a Dewalt power drill, Chris's electric guitar, and Chris's temple bag....
Thursday morning between the hours of 9am and 12noon, someone entered our home. Clothes were strewn everywhere, household possessions cluttered the floor and tables, cabinet doors were open.... Oh wait, the house looked like that any way. Imagine this: We got home from a weeekend in Utah on Monday and dropped a bunch of stuff on the floor. Tuesday I went to Lowes and proceeded to demolish the kitchen. Wednesday was more kitchen facelifting. So all the kitchen stuff was in the dining/living room area and everything else was getting neglected. So Thursday, when Chris came home for lunch and I arrived shortly thereafter, lights were turned on, underwear drawers were pilfered through, the medicine cabinet was open, my temple bag was opened and my dress and things were on the floor. I thought maybe the kids had gotten into it. I even asked Chris why he turned all the lights on. I'm lucky my temple bag wasn't stolen. I keep my recommend in it!! (Which is why I missed your wedding ceremony, Andrew & Brittani) It's a suitcase. Most all the things that were stolen had straps - camera bags, the tripod bag, and Chris's temple bag. The guitar case and drill case would have to be carried by the handle.
So I think the person(s) came in through the front. Chris said the front door was open. I had locked it, but sometimes the door can be pulled shut and not latch, and consequently be pushed open. And we don't have a dead bolt. We should probably invest in one of those. I don't think it was opened with a credit card. I've attempted it before on my own front door and I couldn't get it.
Aarrggghh. Anyways, it's upsetting not to have my stuff. But it's more upsetting to know that someone was in my house. At least my family is safe. To me, it seems to be one of those things everybody will/should experience once in life -car accident, miscarriage, death of someone close to you. It doesn't sound pleasant, and it's not, but it wouldn't be fair for me to think I could escape all unpleasant things in life.
Since this happened, I've heard of other things that have happened in recent days here in Boulder City. I hope we can catch whoever this so-and-so is!! Chris votes for a public flogging.

13 comments:
I just can't imagine somebody walking down the street (or alley) with a guitar case, 2 camera bags, a tripod slung on their shoulder, and a messenger bag and not stick out as strange!
The next worse thing besides having your private space violated and all that comes with that, is that you immediately start to distrust your neighbors. I don't want to assume it was a neighbor (we have about 8 or 9 very good neighbors who we would trust with anything BTW), but that's a reaction and a question that must naturally come.
Our biggest asset, was the lack of assets! They were probably a little dissapointed when they came in and saw that we don't have medications, don't have a TV, no sound system, no mp3 players, no cash in our underwear drawers, no jewelry (that you couldn't get for under $10).
They took my electric guitar, which I bought at a pawn shop in Murray for $100 when I was about 16 or 17 years old. The action was the pits, and none of the nobs really worked. I hope they can at least get $5 for that. I think I took it out of the case 4 times since we have been married. I guess they got a reall steel of a deal!
At church yesterday we had several really good friends offer their camera gear to Jessica in the mean time, just in case she needed to do any photo shoots. There are definitely more good people in BC than bad. We just need to round up the handful of idiots, publicly flog them, and then run them out of town for good.
How scary and sad. I hope the guy gets caught.
I am so sorry this happened to you guys, it is really scary, I'm just glad no one was hurt. Since I read your blog, I've been really thinking how horrible that would be...
Jessica, I was SO SAD to hear this! What an awful & alarming thing to discover - and especially your camera!! Keep your eye on Craigslist for any of your stuff! :(
I'm all for the public flogging! Let's get rid of the sleeze!! I was so sorry to hear about this. Truly, it is unbelievable, in broad daylight, WOW!! That is really scary! If you guys need anything at all let us know! May-be you should check out your neighbours' houses to see if your camera is there! I'm glad you guys are ok!!
I am so sorry your privacy has been so invaded; what a horrible feeling. I'm glad you're all physically okay- did you have your camera gear insured?
I have been checking Craigslist and Ebay, and I think Chris has kept up on the pawn shops. The insurance is still up in question. It's covered, but is it worth it to make a claim? After the deductible, they may or may not give us enough money to ofset the cost of losing out "claim-free" discount and the "longevity" discount we will soon be eligible. Insurance is the pits! I pay for my babies to be born, I pay for my son to crash our car into the nieghbor's wall (1.5 yrs ago) and I pay for my stuff to get stolen!
I'm getting worked up. I can't even spell or type grammitically correctly!
You know that since you are an administrator you can go back and edit stuff right?
Love your co-administrator husband,
Chris
ew. ew. ew. ew. ew. ew. ew!!! I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. How unsettling and nervewracking to have someone's slimy hands all over your belongings. I'm for public flogging as well.
You must feel so violated! I would have a really hard time feeling safe in my house for a while if that were me!! I am really sorry that this happened to you guys! And thank goodness everyone is safe!
But on a brighter note, yeah that we are now blogging buddies!! Your kids are beautiful,(of course they would be) and you all look so happy! I am truley very happy for you!
Hey, do you mind if I ask you how you made your header? I am struggling!!
Wow! I can't believe that someone violated your home that way! That makes me so angry! I'm sorry to hear that!
BTW- This is Nicole! How are you! I'm happy to see you have a blog so I can keep up with you! I was starting to think you were a ghost!
Post a Comment