Saturday, July 12, 2008

Keep to the Code, Mates

The highlight of this year's Fourth of July Parade.



This has been the past two nights at our house. Jared was taking care of Avery when she was "scared" by inviting her into his bed. On the top bunk. How's that for a sleepover?



Thursday night for dinner I was making chili dogs. Avery says, "I don't want hot dogs! I want real food!!" And for her birthday she has requested strawberry shortcakes and carrot cake. The strawberry, I understand, but what kid requests carrot cake?? And I decided to go homemade so it includes real carrots, pineapple, walnuts, and I would've put applesauce too (in place of the oil) but alas, I didn't have any. I wonder if she know what she is getting into by requesting carrot cake. Recipe as follows:

1 box yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker all the way!)
3 eggs
2 c. grated carrots
1 8oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/3 c. oil/applesauce
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 TBSP cinnamon

Mix well. Pour into a greased fluted pan. Bake at 325 for 55-60 minutes (around 50 minutes for a 9x13 pan). Cool, remove from fluted pan.

My sister-in-law, who used to work for a bakery and makes wedding cakes on the side, said to bake the cake a week ahead of time and wrap it in plastic and put it in the freezer. It makes for a moist, delicious cake. Then on the day of the party, let the cake thaw slightly. Frost and serve!

Cream Cheese Frosting:

4oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
6-7 tsp. milk

Sprinkle with a few more chopped walnuts for flair. Voila!

6 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Corbett said...

I don't know about 3 year olds, but the cake sounds good to me =)

MaryRC said...

For BC he was a darn good "Jack". How nice he's taking care of his sister. Hope that continues for many many moons. BTW Im lifting this recipe for sure.

Jessica B Photography said...

We haven't decided if the sharing the bed is a good thing or not....

Lift away! I love the cake so I was sure that everyone else would too ;)

CORDERMAN FAMILY said...

That picture of Jared & Avery is precious, the cake sounds delicious & the first year I saw Captain Jack Soarrow at the parade I really thought it was Johnny Depp.

Mel said...

That is a great Jack Sparrow. I think he is hot. And yes...I remember that game at the silver bowl well. That girl punched me right in the nose, so I had to fight back. I swear I really am not a fighter....Until you make me mad. Haha. It is funny you remembered that. Hey next time I am in town I think that me,you, autumn and andrea need to get together for lunch. Oh and kristal too. that would be fun...

Susan said...

How did we miss "Jack" we sat through the whole parade and I can't believe we missed him! Great picture by the way!