Monday, December 10, 2007

Ward Christmas Party

We had a ward Christmas party on Friday. I laughingly signed up to bring a jello salad. It was either that or pumpkin pie. The jello list was all the older ladies and the pie list was all the younger sisters. I just knew that all the pumpkin pies were going to be coming from Costco! So I thought "I am going to make a jello salad!" I followed a recipe from a very reputable source and TA-DA! My jello did not jell. My face was one of disbelief. How hard is it to make jello?!?!?! Truthfully, this is the third time this year that my jello has not been successful (I have only made jello 4 times in our 5 years of marriage). The first one didn't jell, the second one jelled too much before I put the fruit in, and this third one so sadly did not jell either. At least #2 was edible, #1 and #3 were not. And the recipe really looked good, so I was disappointed. Maybe they should hold a Homemaking on "How to Make Jello Salad," and not Jello soup, for all of us under the age of 30. So I made a Dixie Salad instead. For those who have never tasted this delicious concoction, it is pomegranates, green apples, walnuts, marshmallows, and whipped cream. It's a Thanksgiving and Christmas must-have in the Hess family.


Kiefer made his acting debut as Baby Jesus in the ward's live nativity and Christmas story reading . Avery was a little angel, and Jared was a shepherd/Jedi knight. The lamb was itself, as was the star.

3 comments:

CORDERMAN FAMILY said...

Oh my goodness...you guys look so AWESOME, I'm sad we couldn't be there to join in the festivities. By the way the jello story is pretty funny :)

Susan said...

You guys did such a great job, and were so cute. I saw your salad on the table and was way disapointed that I didn't get to try any. I am not the biggest fan of Jello!

Andrea said...

Maybe it's a Hess thing - but for the life of me, I cannot make Jello either. I've been assigned it for 3 years running for my family's big dinners and every time it has disappointed...
It's funny too because each time I've ended up doing the Dixie salad as well. Great minds think alike!