Friday, September 19, 2008

The Green Monster

I didn't think anyone would actually drink this on their own accord (besides me, of course) so I brought it to a girl's night get together and made everyone try it. I didn't tell them what was in it until after they downed what was in their cups. My baby LOVES it and my husband said "it's not bad" and drank his whole cup. The first day I had it, I was a couple days into developing a really disgustingly snotty nose. I drank the smoothie and I was on the mend! I've been drinking one every day or every other day since - thanks to Costco for providing the never ending bag of spinach. Oh, there you have the magic ingredient. The girls were guessing all sorts of things - tofu, spirulina, seaweed, algae, and wheat grass. It is a little reminiscent of my wheat grass days, but this doesn't taste like a freshly-mowed lawn. Just so you know, "spinach is a rich source of vitamin A (and lutein), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium, and several vital antioxidants." (Thank you, Wikipedia) I think spinach is an anti-cancer food, but couldn't find a direct quote, but it must be with all those vitamins... and it's green.... I know kiwis are anti-cancer. Oh and none of the girls puked... Nice moustaches ladies.
I came across the recipe online and modified it to my liking. Since I already have a Diablo Verde drink that I make, I decided to call this one the Green Monster.
2 c. spinach leaves (packed)
1 c. kale (about 1 leaf - remove the stem)
1/4 to 1/2 c. orange juice
1 banana
1 kiwi
1/4 - 1/2 c. strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 c. raspberries (fresh or frozen)
Blend the first five ingredients first, making sure that the leaves get good and chopped. Then add the berries. Makes 16 to 20 ounces. Enjoy!

12 comments:

April said...

It sounds delicious Jessica. I am actually going to have to try it out. I drink a green drink every morning as well, but mine is not so yummy so I think I will give yours a try! Thanks for sharing

Jessica B Photography said...

What's in yours??

CORDERMAN FAMILY said...

Definately sounds better than it looks (especially considering the snotty nose thing.) Girls night looks like it was alot of fun...I have high hopes of making it to the next one.

Hillary said...

That sounds good. There is a green drink I love but it's pretty expensive for the size you get (I can't remember what it's called, one of those food juices), anyways it's got kiwis and wheat grass and other green stuff. I'll have to give yours a try

April said...

Mine is just a mix of different herbs and greens (its powdered and very concentrated). I dump a tablespoon in some juice every morning and down it. Not the tastiest thing, but it keeps Addy and me healthy. I have tried to get Hyun to drink it, but he runs, when he sees me making it

Cindy said...

It reminds me of a drink a lady made while we were in Japan. Except she called it Frog Juice. But it wasn't too bad. Curtis didn't like though. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Chris said...

Girls are wierd.

Jenny said...

before I read your post, it looks a lot like split pea soup, which I think is yummy. It sounds interesting, I make a strawberry smoothie in the morning that my kids love, I think I might stick to that:)

Susan said...

I have one like Aprils so can't wait to try this one :) Thanks! :)

The Jensen Family said...

Looks good to me!! You are so good and healthy, we need to hang out more often!!:)

Nicole said...

Um, no.

MaryRC said...

mmmm sounds yummy! i love anything monstery!