Friday, October 17, 2008

Midnight Snack

After spending two days off the computer, I had to spend, like, two hours catching up on all the blogs/research/shopping/etc. Then I needed a midnight snack. I made pizza for dinner and what's better than a delicious cheesy hot slice, so I thought to myself "Mmmm... Pizza."

Then I remembered. Our microwave died.

(insert long anguish-filled "Nooooo!!!!!" here)

That's how Chris reacted to the news. Personally, I first thought it was funny. But now, as I chew my last bite of cold pizza, it's not so funny. I know I could've warmed it up in the oven, but I was hungry NOW! And no, we don't have a toaster oven.

After the passing of our 6-year-old-wedding-present microwave, the option of going without came up. I said, "Well, L & S don't have a microwave. And neither do K & J." Then Chris started comparing having a microwave to using disposable diapers and using a washing machine to wash clothes... "There's a reason we have these modern conveniences...."

Light reading, anyone?

9 comments:

LM said...

Well Chris does have a point, but on the other hand so does NEXUS Magazine, Volume 2, #25 (April-May '95). I think what it boils down to is how much are you willing to sacrifice for your modern conveniences? If your good health is something you can casually toss around then you are good to go! Yes, all this coming from someone who just can't help using the microwave located in the rental house she is using. Please note~although we do use our microwave now we were microwave free for 10 years, and we SURVIVED!

Camille said...

Of course you are invited to see my blog. I just got Autumn's comment on Facebook, so I sent you a link thru email. It's so good to see your cute family. You look great!

Mr. and Mrs. Corbett said...

We didn't have a microwave for a little while and although it did suck sometimes, we survived it. But you can get them pretty cheap and there are just some things that the microwave makes sense for. It makes some things so much quicker in our busy busy lives. =)

and I am glad that my harranging worked and that you and Camille were able to reunite =) my good deed for the day is done.

MaryRC said...

OH! get the microwave...

i must say that with mike gone and picky eaters the microwave is getting more use. i've been encouraging zac and rae to do for themselves and the microwave is working for them. their favorite left overs are actually getting eaten.

brittani c. said...

Time is more of an issue with the two of us, so we could not be bold and daring like your family of 5. My mom didn't get a microwave until she was in her mid-thirties. Since then, she hasn't turned back. :)

CORDERMAN FAMILY said...

We have one, don't use it that often but is nice when the situation calls for something fast. I don't like the counter space mine takes up so we'll be switching to an under-mount one very soon.

Hillary said...

Ours was a wedding present too and it is starting to act its age. Isn't it sad when your wedding stuff starts wearing out?

Higham Family said...

I can't wait for my wedding present microwave to die. It's so loud! It gets the job done though, so I'd be a little lost without it. You should get a new one; envision your life with teenagers and no microwave.

Jessica B Photography said...

The funny thing is I left it on the counter for a few days, hoping it would resurrect itself. I just barely threw it out yesterday.

Can't I have another wedding reception?? Aren't people supposed to bring presents to a house warming party? Maybe I should buy a new house.

Ugh, teenagers.... At Costco I thought about buying some of those frozen burritos, but then... I realized I won't be able to "cook" them and they are really not very good for you anyway...